Monday, June 16, 2008

Socially Challenged Persons

Today, I will introduce to you a special type of people. I like to call them "The Socially Handicapped People" or " The Socially Challenged People" . I don't know how many people can be counted in that category but i am hoping that i am not the only one. Coz it would freak me out !

Ok. Who are these socially challenged people(SCP)?? I will explain with an example. Imagine this situation.

A couple is taking a walk along the road. Girl sees a cockroach and screams. how would a normal guy react? and how would a SCP react?? Lets see...

Girlfriend: blah blah blah...

Normal guy:hmm.... aha.... oh.....

Girlfriend sees a cockroach,screams and holds guys hand.

Normal guy: Sweet heart, don't be afraid. I am there with you naa... I love you!

Girlfriend: I love you too!

i will leave the next scene to your wicked imaginations!

Now the same scenario with our nerdish SCP.

Girl friend: blah blah blah..

SCP:

( Stares blankly at her. nods his head vigoroulsy in an effort to convey to her that he is actually listening)

Girlfriend:

( sees a cockroach,screams and holds the guy's hand)

SCP: (to himself)

Whats wrong with her? Its only a cockroach?? I mean who is afraid of cockroach??

Is she trying to satisfy my male ego by making me feel like i am protecting her?

If the SCP guy is in terminal stage, then instead of wondering to himself, he will let those thoughts out.

********************************************

So, i guess you got a hang of what a socially challenged person means. He is a person who dont know how to behave in a social situation. He feels like he is attending a exam when he is in a group. By trying to be funny, he often embarasses himself. He is more comfortable with non living things than living things. Because of this inability he is often mistaken for arrogant,aloof idiot. Well, I am one.

I don't know why. I don't know how to make small talk. My conversation with a typical friend goes like this.

friend: hi

me: hi

friend: hows everything?

me: fine

friend: what else

me: nothing.

friend: hows life?

me: ya fine. every thing is routine.

friend: Um... ok bye

me: ok. bye!

I don't know how people manage to talk for hours on phone. The above conversation is the best i can manage. in fact, one friend accused me that i am not interseted in talking to him. He said that may be he was disturbing me. I told him that theres nothing like taht and i am glad to talk to him. I just dont know what to talk! He got angry and hanged up.

I don't know how to keep relations. I don't know how to keep in touch with old friends.

worse yet, i don't know how to make new friends!

If a person who works in my office and with whom i never talked too much ran into me outside, i dont know what to do .Am i supposed to smile at him and go? or am i supposed to say hi and chat for some time? Am i supposed to ignore him ??

In office, When a co worker is coming straight ahead of me in opposite direction, am i supposed to make eye contact?? am i supposed to mumble some greeting?? can i ignore him??

It all may seem silly to you. May be you are doing all this stuff by reflex so that you are not aware that this kind of problems actually existsBut Thats not the case with me. every minute i am not alone is like a test to me!

I know this post sucks. Never mind. but next time when u see a person suffering with these symtoms of SCP, please dont think he is arrogant. Thats all i am hoping from this post!

4 comments:

nonentity said...

Felt like I am reading myself.

ఏకాంతపు దిలీప్ said...

Sandeep,

There is a loser in everybody. And everybody is challanged. Some learn from others and act, some dont really bother. Out of those who do not really bother, some become conscious and spoil the serenity of the moment they are facing and some give a damn about it.

And finally one's acceptance depends on how one is perceived by others. And it depends on one what kind of acceptance he cant afford to loose. That knowledge helps him to be proactive in learning and act.

It might be ok for somebody if they are misunderstood by acquaintances and friends around.
But it might not be ok for somebody if their manager misunderstands him.

I know many people who are socially active, and challenged at work environment. Similarly, who are challanged socially and active at work.

There are many things to it.

I just tried to put my thoughts down.

Purnima said...

Hey Sandeep.. I get the feel of the post, you actually made excellent way to put what you're through.

But lemme ask you, what would you do if this SCP wasn't you, but your friend? Would you write a post like this and introduce to people, "MEET A LOSER?"?

What would you do, if he's gonna go nuts about this problem? You would understand that he isn't arrogant.. and leave it?

Befriend yourself. Understand yourself and then worry about the society. Do things as long as they please you and don't hurt "sane" people. And also, understand that you can't please everybody all the time.

I'm supposed to be the most social in many ways. People who know me would say that to you. But I still ignore people, I still don't smile at people, I still freak out when people start admiring.. This is because, as Dileep said, everybody is challenged. So be it.. I can't call myself a loser, because I'm not tuning into someone.

It's not that you can't talk, it's just that people don't pull you into such a conversation. It's just that someone isn't making you feel to smile at them.

Enough of my lecture, but still please do understand that life's great! And you've so many ways to enjoy it.

This was posted way back, and earnestly hope that you don't need this anymore.

Please do take care!
Purnima

San .D said...

Today i discovered a huge thing!

PEOPLE DO READ MY BLOG!

I feel like i received booker prize or something like that!

Anyway,
naseer, good to know that i am not alone!

Dileep,purnima:

I am honoured by u people's visit to my humble blog.thanks for your words of encouragement.
And yes, following ur's advice, i am changing the name of my blog. May be i am not a loser after all!

P.s: u people made a huge mistake by letting me know that my blog was being read. You will see a lot of posts from now on...